The ‘Sentinels’ of Langhe

The journey begins in Roddi. The most enchanting place is the little square outside the city hall, where the parish of the assumption is located, with its late baroque facade, and the castle built around 1000ad in a dominant position on the Tanaro valley, in the highest part of the hamlet.
The old town, with streets drawing concentric circles, is perched around the 13th century bell tower and the manor. Tall and imposing, it is a fine example of fortified medieval architecture, with a three floor main building and two mighty towers: on one corner the cylindrical main tower stands out tall and slender; on the opposite side stands a smaller and suspended tower. Since 1526, the building had belonged to Gaio Francesco della Mirandola, nephew of the great humanist and philosopher Pico. Then, in 2001 it became a property of the municipality and can now be visited.
 Getting back on the road to Alba, it is possible to reach Grinzane Cavour, a town divided into two parts: Gallo, home to many craft and industrial activities, the most famous of which being the production of nougat, and Grinzane, the historical part developed around its prestigious Castle, symbol of the Langa of Barolo. The name of the village pays tribute to the renaissance statesman Camillo Benso, who was mayor here for 17 years, from 1832 to 1849.Castello di Grinzane Cavour - Luca FerrariThe castle of Grinzane Cavour, together with that of Serralunga, is one of the finest examples of medieval architecture in Langa. Thanks to the restoration works carried out since 1926, the building is in excellent condition. Imposing and haughty, from the top of the hill, it overlooks the entire hamlet below. Until approximately 1400, it belonged to the Marquises of Busca; then passed to the Marquises of Monferrato, until, in the first half of 1800, it was bought by Michele Cavour, father of Camillo. Finally, the the Alfieri family of Sostegno bought the palace and, in 1932, donated it to the city of Alba, since, at that time, Grinzane was part of the municipal territory of Alba. Today the castle is open and can be visited. It hosts Enoteca Regionale Cavour, the regional wine cellar, a restaurant and an ethnographic museum on rural culture. From Gallo, heading to Barolo, at the first fork take the road to Serralunga, one of the most beautiful centres of the Barolo Langa: one can reach the village by driving along the estates and wine cellars of Fontanafredda, that Emanuele Count of Mirafiori, son of Victor Emanuel II wanted in 1878. By appointment, it is possible to visit the heart of the company: the enchanting royal cellars, which get lost in the bowels of the hill. On the top of the hill stands the castle, a unique example of a defensive building which remains in this area: the three very high towers, in fact, remind us to the need for defence, but had also the function of sighting and communication with the other towers of the Langa. It is characterized by a spartan interior, designed to accommodate armed troops; mysterious niches and hatches open up inside the imposing towers: the castle has underground passages that link it to the farmland and, in some secret way, to other nearby castles. Owned by the state, in 1950 it was the subject of a restoration commissioned by the President of the Republic Luigi Einaudi. Castello di Serralunga From Serralunga, continue to Castiglione Falletto, at the centre of the Barolo wine and food area. The village is dominated by the beautiful and disquieting medieval fortress, characterized by a massive central fortified tower. Castiglione is an ancient hamlet, probably of Roman origins; the castle was built around the year 1000 as a lookout point and later became a military stronghold and a strategic lookout over Langhe and Monferrato; in 1601 it passed to the Savoy and was transformed into a private house. It is one of the most impressive panoramic viewpoints on the low Langa and the majestic castle of Serralunga; it is open only during certain events including the one named Operazione Città Aperte”. At its feet, in the basement of the City Hall, is the Cantina Comunale, the town winery. From Castiglione head in the direction of Barolo: set in a sort of plateau surrounded by panoramic hills, the village has given its name to the wine. In the village there is the Castle, built in the 10th century, when Langhe were invaded by the incursions of the Saracens; in 1250 it passed to the Falletti, a powerful banking family of Alba, who bought the place with all the land and thrived there until 1864. In their territory, which extended over the surrounding hills up to the castles of Castiglione and Serralunga, was produced the first Barolo thanks to the work of the Marquise, Giulia Colbert Falletti. The history and legends on the ‘King of Wines’ originated just right in this very castle. Tradition has it that here, in the 1800s, 325 wagons (one per day with the exception of the 40 days of Lent) left each one with a carrà (a long and narrow barrel) of wine. The destination was the court of Savoy in Turin, in particular the King Charles Albert, who had reprimanded the Marquise for not having ever offered him any wine to taste. The long convoy blocked the street called via Nizza up to the Royal Palace, arousing a huge stir among the crowd: it was the first truly effective advertisement of the Barolo wine. The castle has undergone many changes over time: from defensive manor to noble residence in the countryside until 1970, the year when it was purchased by the Municipality with a public subscription. The upper floors house the ethnographic museum of Barolo, while in the wine cellars, right where the Marchioness Giulia baptized the first Barolo, is the seat of the Enoteca Regionale del Barolo, the Regional Winery.

Wine Cellars Along the Itinerary

Bric Cenciurio

, wineshop: Via Roma 24; cantina: Via Alba - Barolo 26, Barolo CN

Scarzello Giorgio e Figli

, Via Alba, 29, Barolo CN

Enoteca Regionale del Barolo

, P.zza Falletti, 1, Barolo CN

Barale Fratelli

, Via Roma, 6, Barolo CN

Palladino

, Piazza Cappellano, 9, Serralunga d'Alba CN

Gemma

, Via Alba 11/C, Serralunga d’Alba CN Cantina del mese

Sukula

, Via Meriame 3, Serralunga d’Alba CN

Fratelli Serio & Battista Borgogno

, Via Crosia 12, Tenuta Cannubi, Barolo CN

Cantina Comunale di Castiglione Falletto with kitchen

, Via Cavour 24, Castiglione Falletto CN

Sordo Giovanni

, Via Alba-Barolo 175, Castiglione Falletto CN

Damilano

, Strada Provinciale Alba-Barolo, 122 - wineshop: Via Roma, 31, Barolo CN

Cagliero

, Via Monforte, 34, Barolo CN

Schiavenza

, Via mazzini 4, Serralunga d'Alba CN

Gigi Rosso

, Strada Alba-Barolo, 34, Castiglione Falletto CN

Marchesi di Barolo

, Via Roma, 1, Barolo CN

Giovanni Rosso

, Via Roddino 10/1, Serralunga d'Alba CN

Famiglia Anselma

, Loc. Castello della Volta, 3, Barolo CN

Monchiero

, Via Alba - Monforte, 49, Castiglione Falletto CN

Olivero Mario

, Via Fontanassa, 18, Roddi CN

Borgogno

, Via Gioberti 1, Barolo CN

Cantina Francesco Borgogno

, Via Crosia, 29, Barolo CN

Terre del Barolo

, Via Alba-Barolo, 8, Castiglione Falletto CN

Cadia

, Via Roddi-Verduno 62, Roddi CN

Ettore Germano

, Località Cerretta, 1, Serralunga d'Alba CN

Enoteca Regionale Piemontese Cavour

, Via Castello, 5, Grinzane Cavour CN

Garesio

, Località Sordo 1, Serralunga d'Alba CN

Gabutti di Boasso Franco

, Località Gabutti, 3/A, Serralunga d'Alba CN

Fontanafredda

, Via Alba 15, Località Fontanafredda, Serralunga d'Alba CN

La Biòca

, Via Alba 13/A, Serralunga d'Alba CN

Le Ginestre

, Strada Grinzane, 15, Grinzane Cavour CN


Places to Eat Along the Itinerary

Cantina Comunale di Castiglione Falletto with kitchen

, Via Cavour 24, Castiglione Falletto CN

Sorry, this entry is only available in Italian.

, Piazza Vittorio Veneto 10, Castiglione Falletto CN

Schiavenza

, Via mazzini 4, Serralunga d'Alba CN

Rossobarolo

, Via Roma, 16, Barolo CN

Massimo Camia

, Strada Provinciale Alba - Barolo 122, La Morra CN

Tota Virginia, hotel and restaurant

, Loc. Baudana 69, Serralunga d’Alba (CN)

La Crota – restaurant and guesthouse

, Via Fontana, 7, Roddi CN


Accommodation Along the Itinerary

I grappoli

, Borgata Parafada, 5, Serralunga d'Alba CN

Cagliero

, Via Monforte, 34, Barolo CN

Ca’ San Ponzio

, Via Rittane, 7, Barolo CN

B&B La Giolitta

, Via Cesare Battisti, 13, Barolo CN

Gabutti di Boasso Franco

, Località Gabutti, 3/A, Serralunga d'Alba CN

Fontanafredda

, Via Alba 15, Località Fontanafredda, Serralunga d'Alba CN

Tota Virginia, hotel and restaurant

, Loc. Baudana 69, Serralunga d’Alba (CN)

La Biòca

, Via Alba 13/A, Serralunga d'Alba CN

La Crota – restaurant and guesthouse

, Via Fontana, 7, Roddi CN